What are Ozone Depleting Substances (ODSs)?
16 Sep 2015
Ozone Depleting Substances (ODSs) are chlorine, fluorine or bromine based chemicals which have a potential to react with stratospheric ozone molecules. These ODSs include;
- Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs): used as refrigerant in Mobile air conditioning (MAC) system, refrigerator, chiller etc.
- Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs): a temporary alternative to CFCs, mostly used as refrigerant in household air conditioning system and as foam blower for producing foam insulator.
- Halons: used as fire extinguishing agent.
- Methyl Chloroform: used as solvent for cleaning flux and solder paste in electronic parts.
- Carbon Tetrachloride: used for laboratory purpose.
- Methyl Bromide: this chemical is favored for quarantine and pre-shipment (QPS) applications and post-harvest fumigation.
File upload :